HOW SMARTNAV WORKS
SmartNav uses an infrared (IR) camera to track your head movements. Learn more about the technology.
You reflect IR light back to the SmartNav, which sends instructions to your computer to move your mouse cursor.
HOW IS MY HEAD MOVEMENT TRACKED?
SmartNav tracks reflections from a tiny dot, which you can place anywhere.
Place our paper thin tiny reflective dot on the part of your body you'd like to control the cursor with. Preferred options include:
- Mic Boom
You can also make your own reflective marker with NaturalPoint's high-quality tracking material available on our Accessories page.
WHERE DO I PUT THE SMARTNAV?
SmartNav mounts on top of your monitor, laptop or communication device facing you. SmartNav can also be threaded onto a mini tripod and sit next to your computer. The device can be placed anywhere as long as it can see the reflective accessory you've chosen to wear.
HOW MUCH DO I MOVE?
Less than an inch of head movement is more than enough to move the cursor across your entire screen. This is also adjustable in the software SPEED settings. SmartNav has a 45 degree Field of View (FOV), and usually sits about 2 feet away from your head. Thus you have almost two feet of free "head space" in which to move that simple inch.
HOW DO I CLICK?
SmartNav offers multiple clicking options.
- Hotkeys: Re-map keys from your keyboard and assign them to emulate the Left, Right and Middle mouse buttons.
- Dwell-Clicking Software: Click by hovering the cursor in one spot for a small (and adjustable) amount of time. A full dwell-clicking system and on-screen keyboard are included in the AT software package, allowing for total hands free operation.
- Ability Switches: Industry standard input switch support allows you to plug two click switches into SmartNav for more clicking options. Choose from our full selection of hand and foot switches on our Accessories page.
WHY IS SMARTNAV DIFFERENT FROM OTHER HEAD TRACKING DEVICES?
The SmartNav is both the fastest system on the market and the most adaptable to the users needs.
- Speed: The cursor position is updated at 100 frames per second, resulting in precise cursor placement with real-time response.
- Resolution: A high resolution imager (1280 x 480) allows for pixel accurate pointing and control that feels like a laser pointer.
- Lighting Conditions: Sunlight resistance and tracking technology allow the system to be used in almost any lighting environment. Sunlight is not a problem.
- Software: SmartNav is the only head tracking system with software allowing for full configuration and adaptability of the device.
Each package benefits from the same broad selection of special software features, including: Gravity, Mouse Cooperative Mode, Smoothing, Separate X and Y Scaling, Pause While Typing, Hotkeys, and many more.
WHICH SMARTNAV DO I CHOOSE?
Compare each package on our SmartNav Feature Comparison page.
DOES NATURALPOINT OFFER SUPPORT?
Industry leading toll-free technical support is available for the life of the SmartNav and products are backed by a 1 year warranty.